Thursday, August 6, 2009


Well Kelley is healing. She had her first check up last tuesday and the doctor says the xray shows that the bad fracture above her prosthetic knee joint is healing. This is the one that they were really worried about. The femur broke just above her prosthetic knee, so they inserted two long thin metal rods half way up her femur that criss cross and "pinch" her prosthetic knee. They then pinned these two rods just above the knee joint so the rods really squeeze it. This is all supposed to knit the whole thing back together so her femur reattaches to the prosthetic knee. Complicated... and so far it appears to be working. Kelley spends a fair bit of time in her new chair, but is still taking it very easy. But at least she can move around the house, get outside and visit with friends. In this photo she and her Mom are visiting with Julie and Abigail. Wilbur has a little basket in back of the chair that he just likes to lay in so he always goes where Kelley goes.

Some funding has been coming into the NTAF account, thank you to everyone that has contributed, it sure helps with the insurance premiums and copays. The Tuolumne trip has filled! so that will also be helping making a dent in some of the backlog of bills, and hopefully help pay for a badly needed wheel chair ramp to the house. Please continue to send her your good thoughts, meditations,prayers, and emails, and stop by and visit. Your positive energies definitely help. Sue

3 comments:

Heather Brooks Freer said...

Love you Kelley! You're in our thoughts daily. Heal fast and strong!
H

MEF said...

I just saw the Bee article, good job, lets hope it helps with some fundraising. In my thoughts and prayers, Mary Ellen

ExileTina said...

Kelley, you inspire women everywhere to live, adventure, be free and handle the adversities that life gives us with ferocity, grace and dignity. NEVER GIVE UP. Now when I get outside my comfort zone and am forced to grow and learn and try that thing which I'm not sure I can, I PULL A KELLEY and go forth confidently, knowing I can make it happen, whatever it is and no matter how many people told me it wasn't possible. You make us all strong. May you use my strength as you need it. We are all with you and we are all sending you energy, strength, health and love. Every time I get in your dad's kayak, I think you of you and of him and I am grateful. Thank you. I will pay it forward.