Monday, March 7, 2011

# 1 Thank You Coloma/Lotus Friends for your love gifts!!! #2 Shingles to Schistosomiasis

Monday March 7, 2011

So, here I am trying to keep my focus--my pain is always there making me tired trying to tear me down. It is hills and valley's/current and eddies. The sun shines often here in San Diego and my Mom is still with me helping with food and wash!! giving me more time to rest and rehab. Today it's raining. George Armstrong phoned yesterday and brightening my day! Thank you George. I also received and email, from my friend I met on the Tat, Enoch checking in and reminding me to update my blog...thanks Enoch for keeping in touch!; my best to Mary Ellen. Also thank you to everyone who commented to my blog: Randy, Nony, Jody, Heather, Janet, Jeff, Dennis, and Kitty. The past few months was challenging--my shingles broke-out, and between the shingle pain in tandem with the normal nerve pain I had to dig deeper into my bag of courage to keep going with my rehab at Project Walk....going on Tues and Thurs, it literally has been wiping me out for the week. My naps are so looked forward to, the highlight of my day. But now i'm hanging in there and starting to do better, and able to work on the computer. Ken Streater and I have been emailing. He's writing a book "The Gift of Courage" !! and since then I have been reflecting over "courage" and try to put it to use everyday. Oh, My Mom just handed me a cup of hot cocoa w/ a yellow marsh mellow rabbit--now, that's flowing-in-easy-current.


I'm So Grateful For my Friends and Family:

Thank you Kurt for coming down and bringing my gear. I haven't seen Kurt since I moved to southern Calif (7 months ago)...it was nice to see him this past weekend Feb 27, bringing some of my belonging I had left in Sacto at his house, including my watercolor paint set...something I've been wanting to start doing. His visit was fast; he need to get back to work. I just don't know how he pulled the visit off, driving all night long from Sacto leaving at 11pm Sat; over the Grapevine in a blizzard (early morning); to San Diego, arriving @ 6am. He stayed the day and that night, then drove home on Mon.


Wishing you a Happy Anniversary Tiffany & Steve!!!..... I want to Thank Everyone who sent messages of love and support down with Kurt.....Janice, Tiffany, Janet, Robin & Bill, Julie & Scott,Bubba, Michelle & Kate, Kay & Monte, and Chad!!...So So sweet of you all to remember me....all the yummy jams, jelly, syrup, doggie cookies for Wilbur, music, book, Petco certificate, and checks, and lovely cards and letters--that I cherish and find strength from :O)



For the ones lucky enough to have traveled to Africa,
here's a bit of facts about the Schistosomiasis Parasite: ...this is something I've been wanting to write for a while, and I'm thinking that if you have traveled there maybe you should be tested for Schisto (blood test for antibodies) or just plan take the medication for the parasite. Treatment is below.


A friend was on a Zambezi River trip with me around 1987, and she also did two Omo River in the 19 90's. Dec 2010 doctors found Schistosomiasis in a polyp after she had a colonoscopy.


Also: A woman river guide visited the Zambezi for 3 months in '95....ten year later, in 2005, she had cysts removed from her uterus, when the doctor glanced over at her appendices he saw hamburger and also removed her appendices and had it tested finding it full of Schisto!


Cysts in uterus has been found caused by the Schisto parasite--it also effects the liver, bladder, intestines, spine, brain...and who knows what else.


I've have two friends (two Great men) who've spent many many years in the African waters-Conrad Hirsch passed away from a brain tumor and Odd Nesje passed from bladder cancer. I've always wondered if they had Schistosomiasis?


Check these two sites out....TV program you may have seen on Animal Planet Called the Monsters Inside Me. It's crazy to think that Schisto can be anywhere in the body...I sure and hell hope it is gone out of mine!

http://wn.com/parasite_monster_inside_me_part_4

http://wn.com/Parasite_Monster_Inside_Me_Part_1


More reading for those interested in the Schisto parasite and Treatment:

Spinal Schistosomiasis
Schistosomiasis has been reported in U.S. river rafters in Africa.

Later symptoms are related to the number and location of parasite eggs in the body. Eggs travel to the liver or pass into the intestine or bladder, causing symptoms related to these organs. In rare cases, eggs can travel to the brain or spinal cord and cause seizures, paralysis, or spinal cord inflammation.

Ectopic egg deposition can lead to additional clinical syndromes including involvement of skin, lung, brain, muscle, adrenal glands, and eyes. Central nervous system involvement can result in transverse myelitis (best described for S haematobium and S mansoni) and/or cerebral disease (most common with S japonicum infection).

Eggs lodged in the spinal cord can cause transverse myelitis, and those in the CNS can cause seizures.

Single-day oral treatment with praziquantel (20 mg/kg bid for S. haematobium, S. mansoni, and S. intercalatum; 20 mg/kg tid for S. japonicum and S. mekongi) is recommended. However, treatment does not affect developing schistosomulae and thus may not abort an early infection. Adverse effects are generally mild and include abdominal pain, diarrhea, headache, and dizziness. Therapeutic failures have been reported, but it is difficult to determine whether they are due to reinfection or drug-resistant strains. Oxamniquine (not available in the US) is effective only against S. mansoni. African strains are more resistant to this drug than South American strains and require larger doses (30 mg/kg po once/day for 1 or 2 days vs 15 mg/kg once). Oxamniquine-resistant cases have been observed.

Patients should be examined for living eggs 3 and 6 mo after treatment. Retreatment is indicated if egg excretion has not decreased markedly. In the future, antigen detection tests may supplant quantitative egg counts as tools to monitor response to chemotherapy.

Rarely, the central nervous system can be involved, producing seizures or transverse myelitis as a result of mass lesions of the brain or spinal cord.

South America = Hepatic & Intestinal
Africa = Urinary

All reported patients with spinal cord schistosomiasis potentially have been exposed to infestation. Worldwide, S mansoni is the most frequent cause of Schistosomal myelopathy

Praziquantel - effective in the treatment of all forms of schistosomiasis, with virtually no side effects, Oxamniquine - used exclusively to treat intestinal schistosomiasis in Africa and South America, Metrifonate - effective for the treatment of urinary schistosomiasis

The disease is treatable, usually with the drug praziquantel taken for 1-2 days.

Praziquantel works by causing severe spasms and paralysis of the worms' muscles. This paralysis is accompanied - and probably caused - by a rapid Ca 2+ influx inside the schistosome. Morphological alterations are another early effect of praziquantel. These morphological alterations are accompanied by an increased exposure of schistosome antigens at the parasite surface. The worms are then either completely destroyed in the intestine or passed in the stool.

An interesting quirk of praziquantel is that it is relatively ineffective against juvenile schistosomes.

While initially effective, effectiveness against schistosomes decreases until it reaches a minimum at 3-4 weeks. Effectiveness then increases again until it is once again fully effective at 6-7 weeks.

[this last paragraph is a little confusing to me....but it sounds like it could kill the juvenile, they use the word relatively ineffective. The next two sentences are confusing, I don't understand it....could you explain it to me?]kelley k

What drug(s) may interact with Praziquantel?

•albendazole •barbiturates, such as phenobarbital •certain antiepileptic medications, such carbamazepine, phenytoin, fosphenytoin, oxcarbazepine •chloroquine •cimetidine •dexamethasone •grapefruit juice •rifampin •St. John's Wort, Hypericum perforatum

What side effects may I notice from receiving Praziquantel?

Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible: “fibrotic lesions around eggs could be lodged in these tissues “

•difficulty breathing •skin rash, hives, or itching Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome): •diarrhea •dizziness •drowsiness •fever •headache •increased sweating •loss of appetite •nausea or vomiting •stomach cramps

praziquantel: effective in a single dose against all species

oxamniquine: effective in a single dose, but only against S. mansoni


One more thing to share..it was on Feb 28 while at Project Walk: I met a new client Mark, from Ireland, with his fiancee. Mark had lost his sight in an accident when he was 22, fifteen years later in his room a window was accidentally left open by a friend--Not knowing it was open Mark fell out leaving him paralyzed just before his wedding day!!...the two worst things that could possibly happen to a person: blinded and paralyzed. My eyes watering, trying to hold back my tears as his fiancée and I talk back and forth with one another, and she telling me their dreadfully sad story. I pray for Mark and her.

"There is always, someone who is better or worse off than yourself."


Gratefully, kelley



1 comment:

Heather Brooks Freer said...

Oh, Kelley, what a rough time with shingles on top of the nerve pain. The book on courage could be subtitled with your name! We're all doing well here in Lotus and the daffodils are coming up, the oak trees budding and the fruit trees beginning to flower up the hill - that amazing mix between the browns of last year and the new greens of this year. Wishing you healing, sending lots and lots of love from us.