Friday, March 21, 2008

March 21 Update

Sorry for the long time between updates, but here is the latest. Kelley and Kurt just went through a stressful time because Kurt developed an injury in his shoulder from a hard paddling workout that somehow turned into a serious staff infection. Dealing with that was pretty intense for awhile. Thank goodness for Leona (Kelleys Mom) who took care of both of them until Kurt was through the worst of it, and other friends who brought by food and helped drive them to doctors appts. He is on the mend now, although his shoulder is definitely going to need some rehab. So they will both be doing physical therapy for awhile. Kelley is still dealing with nerve pain and her drugs and because of that it is often hard for her to focus and maintain her energy. But in the past week or so she has really forced herself to push through and stay steady on her physical therapy. She has also gotten a couple of acupuncture treatments. She continues to feel more and more sensation in her lower extremities, and can "feel" touch on her skin in areas that she couldn't feel before. In addition to still being able to move some toes on her left foot, she also was just able to move a toe on the right foot in the last couple of days. So the flow continues... still a trickle but flow none the less... I also had the opportunity to show the "3 women, 3 hundred miles" DVD at the F.O.R. conference last weekend. Had a very enthusiastic audience of about 60 to 70 people, ,sold 11 copies of the DVD, and got a couple of donations, which will go to Kelleys NTAF account. I don't have to tell you how emotional it is to watch this DVD, and how much I look forward to the day when we can once again share adventure in the rivers and oceans again with our friend. Until next time, keep Kelley, Kurt, and Leona in your thoughts and prayers. Sue

2 comments:

Randy said...

Hi Kelley,

So happy to hear of more steady progress. You may or may not remember me since you share your adventures with so many people. I was on a Sheenjek rafting trip with you in ANWR in 2001. This was the trip where you met Wilbur I (aka Snackshack) chasing airplanes. :-)

I just recently learned about your health setback a few weeks ago. There has not been a day that has passed that I have not thought of you and sent good vibes and well wishes your way. Can't help but get a big smile when I remember your love of the "Big Out There" and infectious way of sharing it with desk-jockey schmos like me.

I had a chance to see the "3 Women" film last summer. And I was grinning ear-to-ear the whole way through. Actually stood up and cheered at times as you three blasted through the big drops.

I've been doing lots of traveling, hiking, and rafting in recent years and visiting some wild places. Your a key part of inspiring my obsession. Thanks. I'll be going back to Alaska this summer.

Wishing you nothing but the best and a speedy recovery.

- Randy

Cris Barsanti said...

Dear Kelley,

I am so happy to hear of your increasing ability to move your toes and to feel touches on your skin. What wonderful, hopeful news, particularly at this time when things continue to be so challenging for you, Kurt and your mother. You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Cris